Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How to Boil an Egg - 101


Soft Boiled Egg

I am a little bit ashamed to admit this, but despite the fact that I love them, I don't think I've ever actually made soft boiled eggs. I know it's considered Cooking 101 (notice my casual reference to this being my 101st post), but I've never really had to do it. I think I've ever only made hard boiled eggs once, and that was almost two years ago. My mom used to make them whenever she was making deviled eggs. She'd just fish one out early, clean half of it off and wait until one of us came by, sniffing out possible treats. You know the saying about the early bird and the worm? For us it was the soft boiled egg. Still warm, and oozy inside. Yum. And its the simplest thing to make too. Just put an egg into a pot, cover with water and put on the stove. Once the water gets to a boil, wait 4 minutes (7 min if you want hard boiled), drain and run cold water over it to stop the cooking. It doesn't even warrant a recipe, it's that easy. Plus, I had these gorgeous eggs in the fridge and the cute egg cups...the time was right to boil an egg. But you know what? Even though it was delicious, it wasn't as good as the one I used to pilfer from my mom. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's different. I'll just have to wake up really early, pop in and hope that I'm the first.

And since today was the day for laziness, dessert was almost as simple as that egg, but much more satisfying. I bought a small tub of Greek yogurt last week and it's been waiting for me to pay it some attention. Greek yogurt is not as tangy as the plain kind and is much thicker, so it was the perfect treat, topped with a sprinkle of Trader Joe's Pecan Granola, a handful of blueberries, and a drizzle of honey. Try some, it's delicious!

Greek Yogurt

Oh, and don't forget to enter the Giveaway! The competition is light, you just might win :D

1 comment:

Veepka said...

Here is my way: poke a tiny hole (with a sewing needle) into the top of the egg. Boil water and add egg to boiling water. Boil 6 minutes for a medium size egg.